ImClone Soars on Buyout Bid (Update)
Updated from 12:14 p.m. EDT
The all-cash bid from Bristol-Myers, a 17% shareholder in ImClone, represents a 29% premium over ImClone's closing price Wednesday. It's important to remember, however, that activist investor Carl Icahn, who serves as chairman of ImClone's board, has a history of fighting for a premium price with his investments.
Icahn reportedly snubbed offers for ImClone in the $50/share range in the summer of 2006, amid rumors that he would take no less than $70 a share. That was prior to ImClone's promising Erbitux data in non-small cell lung cancer, and now ImClone has five midstage prospects in its pipeline.Icahn -- who had been a shareholder and board member at MedImmune -- helped jimmy the sale of that biotech company to AstraZeneca (AZN) for more than $15 billion, and a per-share price that represented a 53% premium to the closing price of MedImmune's shares the day prior. Bristol's bid for ImClone also represents a 39% premium to ImClone's 30-day average price. "My first reaction was that it would be about 10% higher, or a 50% premium from their 30-day average," said Carol Werther, biotech analyst for Summer Street research who recently upgraded ImClone stock to buy. The 50% premium would be roughly $67 a share. But it's difficult to peg value of ImClone's midstage pipeline, she says. The low price being the $60 bid, Werther says, the high price might be $75. Narrowing that down a bit more, Stanford Group Co. analyst Han Li says a potential acquisition price might be $65 to $70 a share based on recent biotech M&A premiums.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV