Starbucks Roasted by Weak Economy
On July 1, Starbucks announced that it would close 600 company-operated stores in the U.S., resulting in the elimination of 1,000 jobs.
For the full year, Starbucks now expects earnings to be in the mid-70 cent range, excluding a 19-cent year-to-date impact from restructuring and transformation costs. Analysts had predicted full-year earnings of 81 cents a share.
The company attributed its bleak view to declining economic conditions, which has led to a fall-off in customers at its stores.
Lower-than-expected revenue growth in the third quarter came as a result of slowing traffic in the U.S. Starbucks saw a mid single-digit decline in same-store sales, or sales at store open at least a year.International revenue grew 24% to $103.6 million, up from $535.6 million a year ago. The company continued to expand its store presence in its 44 markets outside the U.S., but noted that the revenue growth was dampened somewhat by a slight decline in traffic in the U.K. along with slower sales in Canada.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV