Small-Cap Winners & Losers: Starent Networks
Small-cap stocks as well as the broader market had a small early-morning surge before falling slightly on Wednesday. The Russell 2000 Index was down less than 1% to 712.45 while the S&P 500 was up less than 1% to 1,268.87.
Among the winners was Starent Networks (STAR), the multimedia hardware and software provider out of Tewksbury, Mass. Its shares were up 19% to $13.73 on second-quarter earnings of $13.8 million, or 19 cents per share, vs. $3.4 million, or 3 cents a share, one year ago. Analysts polled by Thompson Financial were looking for EPS of 17 cents.
South Portland, Maine-based Wright Express (WXS), which provides services for commercial vehicle fleets, was up 16% to $27.90 on second-quarter earnings of 57 cents vs. earnings of 40 cents a share in the same quarter last year. Analysts were expecting EPS of 54 cents.
Automotive components manufacturer Visteon (VC), out of Van Buren Township, Mich., rose 15% to $2.96 after its second-quarter net loss narrowed to $42 million, or 32 cents per share, vs. a loss of $67 million, or 52 cents per share, one year ago. According to Thompson Financial, analysts were looking for a loss of 37 cents per share.Among the losers was Chantilly, Va.-based Online Resources (ORCC), which provides web-based financial technology services. Its shares fell 28% to $7.40 on a downgrade from Friedman Billings to market perform from outperform. Also down was LECG (XPRT), the Emeryville, Calif. company which provides testimony and advice to companies and law firms. Stock was down 25% to $7.52 after second-quarter revenues fell 3.8% to $89.1 million vs. $92.6 million in the same quarter last year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV