Early 401(k) Withdrawal Costs How Much?
For instance, Rollover estimates that a 35-year-old participant with a $5,000 balance in his 401(k) will pay $500 in penalties and $1,500 in taxes -- stealing away 40% of his cash. Had the employee rolled over the savings into an IRA with an 8% return, then by the age of 65 he would have more than $50,000.
While small balances are more frequently cashed out, larger balances take bigger hits on compounding interest. A 45-year-old with $50,000 might pay $20,000 in penalties and taxes if he cashes out. However, he would earn $183,000 in interest had he left the retirement savings alone for 20 years.
"It's surprising how many people don't understand the long-term ramifications," says Langenwalter. "Just like it's surprising in high school they don't teach kids how to balance their checkbook, and they should. Some folks think they have their whole life ahead of them and they can just cash it out now."
Rollover offers a cash-out calculator on its Web site where consumers can find out the taxes and penalties they'd have to pay as well as what they would earn in interest by entering their age, planned retirement age, plan balance and expected rate of return.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV