This Week's Barron's Roundup
Editor's note: Welcome to Stockpickr's "Barron's Roundup." Each weekend, James Altucher presents Stockpickr portfolios related to articles in the latest issue of Barron's.
Long-Short Managers: Barron's interviews Lee Cooperman and Steven Einhorn, managers of Omega Advisors. The duo controls around $5 billion in assets, use a long-short strategy and have returned 16% annually since 1991. They favor Corning (GLW) and Sallie Mae (SLM) among others.
Undervalued & Overvalued Plays: Barron's lists 10 stocks in the S&P 500 with the lowest price-to-earnings ratios, and 10 with the highest. Among the stocks on the lists are Google (GOOG), Sears (SHLD) and XL Capital (XL).
Speaking of Dividends: This Barron's column highlights the latest dividend increases, initiations and cutbacks. This week, there's information on Anheuser-Busch (BUD), CSX (CSX) and Freeport McMoRan (FCX).
Bullish and Bearish: Each week, Barron's publishes bullish and bearish stories on a variety of stocks. We present summaries of those stories in this portfolio. There is a bullish story this week on Maxim Integrated Products (MXIM), and a bearish piece on Intuitive Surgical (ISRG).
Latest Activist Purchases: Which companies are the top hedge funds chasing? This week's list includes names like Panera Bread (PNRA), iPass (IPAS) and The Phoenix Companies (PNX).
Research Reports: The latest analyst research highlighted by Barron's, including reports this week on Cisco Systems (CSCO), STMicroelectronics (STM) and Costco (COST).
Top Insider Purchases of the Week: Insider purchases are a lot more predictive than insider selling. Barron's lists companies where managers are buying stock, and we build a portfolio with those companies' stocks. There has been interesting activity in ValueClick (VCLK), Microsoft (MSFT), US Bancorp (USB) and Jazz Pharmaceuticals (JAZZ).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV