Market-Timing Isn't Taboo for All Funds
Since its launch, Thermostat has produced winning results. During the five years ending in June 2008, the fund returned 7.47% annually, outdoing 93% of its competitors in Morningstar's conservative allocation category.
Should you abandon buy-and-hold investing?
Not necessarily. Plenty of studies have shown that efforts to time the markets usually fail. Mark Hulbert, editor of Hulbert Financial Digest, found that 80% of market timers missed the mark. Still, there are a handful of mutual funds that have outdone their competitors by shifting between stocks and fixed income. These funds seem well-suited for the current bear market.
Among the top choices is Vanguard Asset Allocation (VAAPX), which has returned 4.49% annually for the past decade, compared to 2.88% for the S&P 500. Portfolio manager Tom Loeb makes dramatic calls, shifting allocations suddenly. Seeking to own undervalued assets, he often buys bonds when stocks are rising.With the S&P 500 soaring in 1999, Loeb shifted to holding 60% in fixed income. He missed several months of the bull market, but stayed in the black in 2000, a year when the S&P 500 lost 9.1%. In 2006 and 2007, Loeb had more than 80% in stocks, a move that enabled the fund to outpace most competitors. Then, in March, Vanguard shifted to 100% in stocks. So far the fund appears off the mark. But history shows that Loeb often buys stocks when they are poised to outperform bonds. "After the fund has shifted to 100% in stocks, the S&P 500 has risen an average of 22% during the next 12 months," says Joe Brennan, a principal at Vanguard Group.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV