Clock's Ticking for Student Loan Applicants
The credit crunch is hitting the student loan market. And just because your school approved you for a Stafford Loan doesn't mean you'll find a bank to fund it -- unless you hurry!
That's the message for students headed off to college or back to school in just a few short weeks. Even if you had a loan last year, it's possible that your lender will not be willing to come through with money for the fall semester.
In fact, a new survey by TuitionBids.com -- a Web site that says it will allow lenders to "compete" for your student-loan business -- says that 60% of students needing loans for the fall semester don't have all their money lined up. Half of those surveyed said they may have to change their plans to attend college if the money doesn't come through.
Loan Limits Up, Loan Money DownThe message is loud and clear: Don't wait until your tuition bill is due to check with lenders. Although Congress took steps to create liquidity in the student loan market by making the Treasury a lender of last resort, many banks are still unwilling to add these loans to their portfolio. With lenders limiting the total amount in their student loan portfolio, many will find it is "first come, first served" for the money that is available. For this year, Stafford loans limits have been increased to $5,500 for freshmen, up from $3,500. And seniors can borrow as much as $7,500. Subsidized Stafford loans -- on which interest does not start accruing until graduation -- are based on need, as determined by the FAFSA form.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV