How to Tell if It's Good Debt or Bad
The economy is struggling, and consumer debt is at an all-time high. Total consumer credit reached nearly $2.6 trillion in May, according to preliminary numbers released earlier this month by the Federal Reserve Board --and that sum excludes loans secured by real estate (e.g. mortgages and home equity loans).
In some cases, consumers are carrying so much debt that they can barely cover their interest charges, much less pay off their balances. This is especially true of credit card debt, where some interest rates are over 20%.
If you have more debt than you can handle -- and potentially skyrocketing rates on your adjustable rate mortgage or credit cards -- you need a plan. That means figuring out exactly how much you owe, and how best to pay off your bills.
Organizations such as the Consumer Credit Counseling Service of Greater Atlanta (CCCS) can help you set priorities for your debts. And your first priority should be to protect the basics: your sources of shelter and income.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV