Rent or Buy a Home?
Your rental payment starts out at $1,200 ($491.07 less per month than your home payment), but rent goes up with inflation. By the end of 30 years, it could be upwards of $2,908.59 a month -- almost $862 higher than your final monthly home payment.
And that's not all. After 30 years, assuming the 2% rate of appreciation, you will have accumulated $425,670 in home equity. This is significantly more than the $210,167 you would have in your portfolio if you invested the $55,000 down payment and closing costs at an average return of 7%.
Over the long run, it's clear that owning in this scenario is better than buying. But if you plan to move before the nine years is over, buying may not be the right decision. Furthermore, since home prices are declining rather than rising in many parts of the country, the 2% appreciation estimate may be high, in which case it would take even longer than nine years to break even.
If you're worried about housing declines, go back and alter some of your assumptions -- including the estimated average return on investment -- in order to be sure you are comfortable with the range of break-even points that your situation may offer.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV