What Now, Genentech Investors?
Selling the $89/Share Offer
Meantime, Roche executives met with investors and analysts Tuesday in New York to further explain the rationale for taking Genentech private and to defend their $89-a-share offer. Roche executives were to meet with Genentech management, including CEO Art Levinson, on Tuesday night.
The consensus appears to be that Roche will have to raise the offer to make the deal work.
"Minority shareholders want to be treated fairly; $89 a share is not fair value," says Jennison's Chan, who believes a triple-digit offer would be much more palatable."This process could drag on for a long time, and if that happens, there will be lawsuits and Genentech people will leave and Roche will end up destroying Genentech's value. I think Roche knows this so it will make a higher offer," he says. Rodman's King has an even better idea: Levinson rallies private equity buddies, including early Genentech funder and venture capitalist extraordinaire Tom Perkins, to raise money enabling Genentech to make its own hostile bid for Roche or otherwise buy itself out. Says King: "If I were Levinson, I'd get in the face of [Roche Chairman Franz] Humer and tell him, 'You don't buy us, we'll buy you, punk.'"
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV