What's Apple's Big Mystery Product?
Apple has already proved that it can successfully monetize most of its iPhone breakthroughs in another hand-held, noncellular product -- the iPod Touch. But what about the next size up?
What about (and I hate to call it this) an iPhone-based tablet computer? Physically, it could be a little larger. Users might be able to input via a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse product if they don't like an on-screen keyboard. They would be able to control all the music from their iPods, computers, Apple TV boxes which would communicate with iTunes and operate through Apple's clever AirPort Wi-Fi system.
Think about it: It's not only good for consumers (it would tie a number of bleeding-edge Apple products together and bring the brand solidly into the living/family room) but if priced right, it could be an answer to all those new Linux/Windows (MSFT)-based mini-laptops that are all the rage.
It would also be a product that would let Apple control the environment and the entire experience -- something that the company's founder likes very much.Plus, all of this would come together just as this country's analog TV system switches to digital broadcasting next February. This could begin to give cable and satellite companies fits if it catches on. Tablet computers are like a dirty word to the industry. Microsoft and many, many others have failed to change that perception. If anyone can, it's Apple. And, if Apple bases it on its proven winners, the iPhone and iPod Touch, I wouldn't be surprised if next year's earnings results reflected a boost in everyone's confidence.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV