Fast Money 'Pops and Drops': Murky Merck
American International Group (AIG) was up 6% to $26.53. Karen Finerman said the stock's movement had to do with an upgrade.
Wynn Resorts (WYNN) was up 6% to $93.43, and Las Vegas Sands (LVS) rose by 9% to $42.20. Jeff Macke said Steve Wynn is a brilliant person and noted that the stock is up about 40% since the company announced its buyback.
Biogen (BIIB) was up 3% to $66.85. Pete Najarian mentioned that the stock was upgraded today. He also said to "keep an eye on this," since the company will be reporting its earnings tomorrow.Valero Energy (VLO) was up about 8%. Joe Terranova likes the company and said he could see it trade $40 soon -- the stock is currently at $35.72. TransAlta (TAC) rose by 15% to $37.06. Najarian said the sharp movement had to do with the company getting bought out for about $8 billion. Timken (TKR) rose sharply by 22% to $34.86. Najarian said when a company "beats expectations and raises its outlook, then you got a winner."
DropsMerck (MRK) was down 7% to $32.82 and Schering Plough (SGP) was down 3% to $18.35 during after-hours trading after a major European study raised concerns about the jointly marketed cholesterol drug Vytroin. Apple (AAPL) was down about 13% to $160 in after-hours trading. The company reported strong third-quarter earnings but gave a lower-than-expected outlook. For the fourth quarter, the company expects to earn $1 a share with revenue of $7.8 billion; analysts' had expected earnings to be $1.25 a share with revenue of $8.3 billion.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV