Flip This House, If You Can
What was it, three or four short years ago, when you could find a little house in a desirable area that needed some paint, putty and petunias, and turn it around a few weeks after closing for a hefty profit?
Back then, the concept of losing money on real estate seemed far-fetched. But it happened.
Those qualify-by-breathing subprime loans dried up, people couldn't make payments on loans that adjusted way upward, and tons of addresses hit the multiple-listing service. With too much supply and little demand, many of those house-flippers with dreams of early retirement (and maybe their own cable TV show) have abandoned the quick-turnaround real estate market.
But for some, there's still opportunity.
How It's Done Now"In a traditional house flip, you're buying at wholesale and selling at retail; it's simple," says Ralph Roberts, a Warren, Mich., flipping guru and the author of Flipping Houses for Dummies.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV