AIG, Other Insurers Offer Fire-Prevention Aid
The intense West Coast wildfires started early this year, but some residents are at more risk than others of paying a high price to repair or rebuild their homes than others.
Thousands have been evacuated from homes in Washington and California, where wildfires have been severe enough to prompt Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger to declare a state of emergency in 12 counties and ask the National Guard for firefighting assistance for the first time in more than 30 years.
Powerful fires that spread across dry, wooded areas throughout the West have pushed more homeowners to take preventive steps in recent years. One especially useful measure is spraying fire retardant on the brush surrounding the home, and on the home itself, to keep the flames at bay.
AIG's (AIG) Private Client Group, which caters to the wealthy, offers this service for free to existing policyholders in five metropolitan areas: Aspen, San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County and San Francisco Bay. Nearly 3,200 are now enrolled, compared with 1,200 in January 2007. The insurer says its enrollment levels spike each time there are large fires, like a 60% increase following blazes last fall.AIG's loss-prevention team has contracted with a company called Firebreak Spray Systems, which sprays a phosphate-based substance called Phos-Check on all the brush within three miles of a residence. The home is sprayed only if a fire spreads beyond that parameter. AIG follows wildfires with a tracking system to determine whether any of the homes under its insurance are at risk.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV