Sony's Playstation 3 Regains 1st Place Over XBox
"Platform-exclusive content usually fuels hardware system purchases and PS3 sales certainly reflect the impact of Metal Gear Solid 4," said Anita Frazier, analyst with The NPD Group in a statement. "PS3 unit sales were the highest of any month outside of that recorded during previous November and December holiday timeframes."
Overall, the video games industry, including hardware, software and accessories, grew 53% in June to $1.69 billion, compared to the same month a year ago.
Hardware sales were up 54% last month to $615.1million from the year before, while software sales grew 64% to $872.6 million during the month.
Activision's (ATVID) game Guitar Hero On Tour for Nintendo's DS took second (422,300 copies) while Ninja Garden II from Microsoft ranked third on the charts.Electronic Arts (ERTS)> found itself placed sixth with its game Battlefield: Bad Company, while the last three of the top 10 spots went to Lucas Arts' Indiana Jones title. Nintendo's Wii Play game stayed strong at the fifth spot while the Wii Fit with Balance Board was a rung ahead. Sales of video game accessories were up 25% in June to $202 million. "The video games industry continues to perform in the face of an ever-increasingly difficult economic environment as many turn to more in-home entertainment," said Frazier. "Even if growth slows over the back half of 2008, the industry is poised to achieve record-breaking revenues of over $22 billion for the year," she said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV