Small-Cap Winners & Losers: Catalyst Semiconductor
The Dow Jones, S&P 500 and the Nasdaq was in negative territory before rallying again. On the other hand, The Russell 2000 and the S&P 600 were trading near the highs of the day but are now trading relatively flat. The Russell 2000 is trading at 687.79, up 0.15%, and the S&P 600 Small Cap at 359.81, up 0.12%.
The California-based semiconductor accepted On Semiconductor's offer to be bought out for $115 million in stock. Catalyst's shareholders still have to approve the deal, even though the board of both companies agreed to the deal. It is expected to close in the fourth quarter.
Shares of LookSmart (LOOK) fell sharply by 20% to $2.75 after reporting preliminary revenue results for its second-quarter will be between $17.0 million and $17.1 million, below analysts' estimates of $18.2 million. Ted West, President and CEO of LookSmart, had this to say to explain the reasoning for the firm's lower-than-expected financial performance:"Our second quarter revenue results were impacted by an unanticipated softening in search advertising demand," commented Ted West, President and Chief Executive Officer. "We remain confident in LookSmart's business outlook and our ability to create value through the execution of our long-term business opportunities." Shares of ValueClick (VCLK) fell by 19% to $11.23 after it lowered its profit and revenue forecast for its fiscal year 2008. The online advertiser now projects to earn 69 cents to 71 cents a share and revenue to be between $655 million and $675 million for the fiscal year. Analysts expected earnings to be 79 cents a share on revenue of $739 million. The company contributed to the cause due to weak advertising spending.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV