IBM's Consistency Becomes Key
Lack of hardware growth "is not necessarily an IBM problem exclusively," Foster said. "We don't see huge growth from Dell, H-P or Sun Microsystems (JAVA)."
IBM's software business, which had revenue of $4.8 billion in the period one year ago and grew 14% year over year in the March quarter, will likely have about 12% revenue growth in the second quarter, according to TBR's software analyst Allan Krans.
The business will show the first full quarter of results from the acquisition of Cognos, a business-intelligence software developer, which Krans expects to contribute $250 million to $300 million in revenue this quarter.
Software had a gross profit margin of 83.9% in the first quarter, the fattest of any of IBM's business lines. "Both gross and operating margins will come down" due to research writedowns and Cognos integration expenses that will phase out over the next three quarters, Krans said.The new z model will also help software sales during the quarter. "A lot of IBM software is still tied to the mainframe platform," Krans said. "You saw some bump up
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV