How to Play $1K: Cash In With Currencies
Editor's note: Not drowning in debt? Have $1,000 to put to work? TheStreet.com senior correspondent and You're So Money author Farnoosh Torabi checks out foreign currencies.
Senior year of college my finance professor decided to shift gears from studying the Capital Asset Pricing Model and introduce us to the wonderful world of currencies. Terrific, I thought; a chance to learn about foreign economies and international politics. Instead, what followed was a series of intense math lessons on currency swaps.
I couldn't keep up (read: stay awake). What about learning the histories of different currencies and having a currency show and tell? Besides, back in 2001, investing in the U.S. dollar was the way to go for the most part. Why bother to learn the math? Our currency ruled.
That was then. Now, with the U.S. dollar recently tracking near an all-time low against the euro and other foreign currencies, I wish I had paid closer attention to my professor (and had the foresight) to hedge against a weak dollar.But it's not too late, experts say. With the world's currencies strengthening, there are countless opportunities to make money, so that's how I'm going to "play $1K" this time: currency exchange. I understand that playing the currencies should really only be done with "risk capital," as experts say it's such a volatile and time-sensitive market. "It can be enormously profitable but you have to be willing to experience big risk," says Marc Prosser, chief marketing officer of Forex Capital Markets, an online currency broker. Alright. I am prepared to lose my "how to play $1K" of capital. It should be worth the lesson. Homeland Homework "
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV