This Week's Barron's Roundup
Editor's note: Welcome to Stockpickr's "Barron's Roundup." Each weekend, James Altucher presents Stockpickr portfolios related to articles in the latest issue of Barron's.
Profiting With Heartland Values: Barron's interviews Brad Evans, lead manager of Heartland Value Plus (HRVIX). The fund is up 9.5% for the first half of 2008 and has five-star ratings from Morningstar. Among the stocks he favors are Cimarex Energy (XEC) and Asset Acceptance Capital (AACC).
Halftime Show: Barron's gives itself a report card on its picks and pans for the first half of 2008. Barron's made correct calls on Marvell Technology (MRVL) and Dynegy (DYN) and a wrong one on American International Group (AIG).
Speaking of Dividends: This column highlights the latest dividend increases, initiations and cutbacks. This week there's information on Cummins (CMI) and Walgreen Company (WAG).
Bullish and Bearish: Each week, Barron's publishes bullish and bearish stories on a variety of stocks. We present summaries of those stories in this portfolio. This week there are bullish stories on Nasdaq OMX (NDAQ), Diageo (DEO) and Qualcomm (QCOM).
Latest Activist Purchases: Which companies are the top hedge funds chasing? This week's list includes names like Third Wave Technologies (TWTI), Take-Two Interactive (TTWO) and Barrier Therapeutics (BTRX).
Research Reports: The latest analyst research highlighted by Barron's, including reports this week on Zions Bancorp. (ZION), Deckers Outdoor (DECK) and AutoZone (AZO).
Top Insider Purchases of the Week: Insider purchases are a lot more predictive than insider selling. Barron's lists companies where managers are buying stock, and we build a portfolio with those companies' stocks. There has been interesting activity in Copart (CPRT), Hovnanian (HOV), Isle of Capri Casinos (ISLE) and GeoResources (GEOI).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV