Financial Surveys Do Women a Disservice
Women and men may have different financial needs, but don't rely on recent studies to explain those differences.
Here are just three puzzling examples of studies from major life insurers about women's attitudes toward personal finance.
Take a recent study by Allianz (AZ) Life Insurance. The headline of the press release declares: "Allianz Study Finds That Women Are Eager to Strengthen Financial Planning Skills, Despite General Feelings of Insecurity."
Further down in the release, a sub-headline states, "Women Feel Overwhelmed By Materials, Language." Reading on, though, one learns that only 44% of the participants say the information is "overwhelming/too much/hard to sort through" -- and this isn't compared with the overall population including men. Even fewer women say that the information is "complicated or hard to understand" (36%) or that they "don't understand terminology/materials seem foreign" (26%).This guide from Prudential (PRU) contains the headline, "Three-quarters
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV