At Video Games Confab, No Bells and Whistles
Sony, once the leading console maker, now sees its Sony PlayStation 3 locked in a tight race with Microsoft's Xbox 360 and lagging significantly behind the Wii. Sony will use the event to get gamers excited about its console by offering a look into its upcoming exclusive titles such as KillZone 2 and Resistance 2, says Steinberg.
The company could also offer an updated look into its much-anticipated game, Little Big Planet, and its long-delayed PlayStation Home service.
Among game publishers, Electronic Arts (ERTS), along with Harmonix and Viacom's (VIA) MTV Networks, is likely to show off Rock Band 2, the sequel to the hit Rock Band game released last year. Rock Band 2 could feature new guitar shaped and drums accessories.
EA could also demo its popular Madden NFL football game that hits its 20th anniversary this year, say analysts, and focus on its casual gaming offerings.Activision isn't participating in E3 but the company will hold its own press conference away from the venue. Analysts expect the company to announce and give users a look into its upcoming titles such as Guitar Hero 4 and Call of Duty 5. Although THQ (THQI) had its gamers day a few months ago, the company is likely to show an updated version of its Saints Row 2 game at E3. "A good playable version of that game might encourage some investors," says Greenwald. THQ's stock is down about 31% this year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV