Stocks in U.S. Begin Week to the Upside
Updated from 8:08 a.m. EDT
The U.S. stock market was rising at the open Monday as traders in New York returned from a long holiday weekend to find lower oil prices and a round of merger agreements.
Just after the session began, the Dow Jones Industrial Average was up 84 points at 11,373, and the S&P 500 was adding 8 points at 1271. The Nasdaq was ahead by 29 points at 2274.
Domestic shares haven't traded since last Thursday, and that was a half session. The market was closed Friday for the Independence Day holiday.As the new week got underway, investors were greeted with a host of merger news, and the dealmaking appeared to help brighten the mood. The biggest transaction will see Germany's Fresenius, a seller of intravenous drugs, buy APP Pharmaceuticals (APPX) for roughly $3.7 billion. Also, China Oilfield Services, a unit of CNOOC (CEO), is set to pay $2.5 billion for Norway's Awilco Offshore.
Cramer: Don't Fight the Tech Tape
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV