Thursday's Winners & Losers: Chindex International
Fortress and private equity firm Centerbridge Partners, which had agreed in June to buy Penn for $67 a share will now instead invest in the casino operator and pay a termination fee. Penn stock had declined 44% since last June. Fortress was trading down about 1% to $11.39; Penn was up 3% to $29.45.
Wachovia (WB) dropped 3.1% to $14.90. The bank announced that it appointed Kevin O'Connor as its chief investment officer to Wachovia Global Securities Lending, a division of the bank that handles third-party lending.
Chindex International (CHDX) said Wednesday post close that it received approval from health regulators in the People's Republic of China to introduce new products, including Intuitive Surgical's (ISRG) daVinci S. Surgical System. Chindex shares rose 15% to $16.13 Thursday, and Intuitive Surgical's shares edged down 0.2% to $250.57.Abbott Laboratories (ABT) shares climbed on the Food and Drug Administration approval of its Xience V, a drug-eluting stent for patients with coronary artery disease. The antibiotic-coated mesh tube will compete with products by Boston Scientific (BSX), Medtronic (MDT) and Johnson & Johnson (JNJ). Abbott, which said it will launch the stent in the U.S. immediately, saw shares rise 1% to $54.80. Shares of competitor Boston Scientific, which makes the Taxus stent, edged down 4 cents to $12.37.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV