Small-Cap Winners & Losers: Circuit City
Updated from 2:32 p.m. EDT with new stock prices
Small-cap stocks followed the broader market on Wednesday, showing a slight drop by midday before beginning a small rebound. The Russell 2000 Index was down 2.8% to 672.10, while the S&P Small-Cap 600 was down 2.8% to 355.19 on the day.
Among the winners, Seattle-based medical device company Northstar Neuroscience (NSTR) was up 22.7% to $1.84. On Wednesday, Tang Capital Partners announced a proposal to acquire Northstar for $2.25 per share.
Tengasco (TGC), an oil and natural gas company out of Knoxville, Tenn., was down 1.3% to $2.90. The company announced early on Wednesday that it had finalized a deal to buy oil-producing properties and equipment from Black Diamond Oil. The deal is worth about $5.35 million.Rising was digital image and design company Schawk (SGK), based out of Des Plaines, Ill. The stock was up 13.8% to $12.60 on first-quarter earnings of $4.3 million, or 15 cents a share. Analysts polled by Thompson Financial were expecting EPS of 13 cents. On the losing side was Israeli security software company Aladdin Knowledge Systems (ALDN), down 34.2% to $8.72. This marks a four-year low for the company, which on Wednesday estimated second-quarter EPS of 1 cent, vs. analyst expectations of 27 cents. Vehicle rental agency Avis Budget Group (CAR) was down 22% to $5.69. The company announced on Wednesday that is sees second-quarter and full-year numbers coming in lower than analyst expectations. Rounding out the drops was Circuit City (CC). Shares were down 9% to $2.32 after Blockbuster (BBI) announced it was dropping its $1 billion bid to buy the consumer electronics chain.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV