Seven Ways to Save Money and Still Be Cultured
As you watch your net worth sink along with the stock market, you might be thinking that you just won't be able to do culture anymore.
Don't worry - there's still hope, if you're smart about how to find less expensive opportunities in the arts and entertainment.
Here are some places where you can save money, and still get the experience you'd been looking for.
1. OperaLive opera is a great spectacle, but there are times when you just can't justify spending the money to get to the real thing. Fortunately, the Metropolitan Opera of New York has a solution: opera in the movie theater. The Met, one of the world's premier opera companies, has for several seasons now been transmitting select live performances into theaters around the U.S. and internationally. Here's a guide on the Met's Web site to the selection of performances and the dates. If you want in on the tickets as soon as possible -- and many of the performances do sell out -- you'll need to start booking in August. 2. Restaurants BYOB (Bring Your Own Beverage) has long been the method of choice for wine connoisseurs who want to enjoy a special from their collection. But it can be an economical way to enjoy vino with your meal. Restaurant markups on wine can often double or triple the price. So, it's probably even worth paying the corkage fee (the amount a restaurant charges to serve a wine you bring in yourself).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV