Sprint's Instinct Looking Good
Rumors have surfaced that the investor relations departments for both Verizon and AT&T were telling individual shareholders that fewer telephone numbers were being ported over from Sprint's wireless network. That speculation offers an explanation as to why Sprint shares have jumped 15% during the same week that the Dow Jones Industrial Average dropped 4% to its lowest level in 2008.
AT&T spokesman Michael Coe said the company was offering no comment on the speculation. Verizon spokesman Jim Gerace took a harder stance, saying that "Sprint continues to be our largest source of port-ins."
Gerace did acknowledge that Verizon's investor relations department has received several questions on the subject of ported numbers from Sprint, but he added that the company does not provide raw porting figures.Sprint spokesperson James Fisher said the company would not comment on the rumor, adding that the second quarter is ending next week and that the company would not have any wireless churn data until its next earnings release in August. "The fact that AT&T and Verizon are seeing fewer ports should not be too surprising," says Steve Clement, analyst with Pacific Crest Securities. "We're expecting churn to improve quarter-over-quarter for Sprint. However, there's no way of knowing how significant that is yet, and whether or not it justifies the price move in the stock."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV