Thursday's Winners & Losers: Goodyear Tire
Updated from 2:45 p.m. with new stock prices
The market reacted negatively after disappointing earnings reports and downgrades, looming concerns for the financial and automotive sector, and oil spiking up $3.78 to $138.33 a barrel. The major indices were all down about 3.0% each.
The Russell 2000 and the S&P 600 traded in sync with the major indices. The Russell 2000 traded at 698.64, down about 2.5%, and the S&P 600 Small Cap at 370.50, down about 2.2%.
Shares of Lear (LEA) fell sharply, by 16.3% to $15.16, since Patrick Archambault, an analyst from Goldman Sachs, downgraded the stock to sell from neutral. Patrick fears the Southfield, Mich., auto supplier will continue to struggle, with General Motors (GM) and Ford (F) deteriorating in the automotive industry.Shares of Goodyear Tire (GT) fell sharply, by 11.2% to $18.22, after announcing its new strategy initiative. The Akron, Ohio-based firm stated that it increased its cost-cut target to more than $2 billion by 2009 from its previous target of $1.8 billion to $2.0 billion. Goodyear also said it plans on investing $1.3 billion to expand in China, Russia and Brazil. Shares of Photon Dynamics (PHTN) rose 31.1% to $15.15 after the board agreed to be bought out by Orbotech (ORBK), an Israeli firm, for $15.60 per share, or $290 million. In the San Jose, Calif., company's press release regarding the buyout, President and CEO Jeffrey A. Hawthorne had this to say: "By teaming up with Orbotech, which is committed to investing in innovative technologies, we will be able to grow the combined business and improve its competitive positioning as we face a maturing industry."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV