Beat the Street: New Leader Emerges
A new leader emerged in the final week of TheStreet.com's Beat the Street contest, using a mostly short-airline portfolio.
"GWT2001" took the lead on four airline shorts and short bets on a chemical company and greeting card maker. The portfolio, which totaled $291,234.94 at the close of trading Wednesday, consists of UAL (UAUA), Northwest Airlines (NWA), Delta Air Lines (DAL), Continental Airllines (CAL), Sociedad Quimica Y Minera De Chile (SQM) and American Greetings (AM).
Airline plays -- both long and short -- have been a common theme in the 12-week contest.
In second place was "Hantongjin," whose portfolio of $288,738.56 was short five airlines and one bank, Washington Mutual (WM)."Redlight," the leader the first two days of the week, dropped to third with a portfolio total of $288,383.86. The contestants are playing for a $5,000 prize.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV