3Com Surges After Profit Beat
3Com (COMS) shares traded higher late Tuesday, after the network equipment maker posted better-than-expected top- and bottom-line quarterly numbers.
The Marlborough, Mass., company said it had a fiscal fourth-quarter loss of $166.7 million, or 41 cents a share, widening from a loss of $66.2 million, or 17 cents a share, in the year-ago period. Excluding items, 3Com said it had a profit of 9 cents a share, ahead of the Thomson Reuters average estimate of 5 cents a share.
Revenue rose 3.3% from a year ago to $321.3 million, but was down more than 4% sequentially. That compares to Wall Street's forecast of $315.3 million. Shares of 3Com were jumping 8% in late trading to $2.16.
For the fiscal year 2008, 3Com generated a profit of 23 cents a share on an adjusted basis, as revenue increased 2% from a year ago to $1.29 billion. Both figures were slightly above analysts' forecasts."In
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV