3Com Surges After Profit Beat
3Com (COMS) shares traded higher late Tuesday, after the network equipment maker posted better-than-expected top- and bottom-line quarterly numbers.
The Marlborough, Mass., company said it had a fiscal fourth-quarter loss of $166.7 million, or 41 cents a share, widening from a loss of $66.2 million, or 17 cents a share, in the year-ago period. Excluding items, 3Com said it had a profit of 9 cents a share, ahead of the Thomson Reuters average estimate of 5 cents a share.
Revenue rose 3.3% from a year ago to $321.3 million, but was down more than 4% sequentially. That compares to Wall Street's forecast of $315.3 million. Shares of 3Com were jumping 8% in late trading to $2.16.
For the fiscal year 2008, 3Com generated a profit of 23 cents a share on an adjusted basis, as revenue increased 2% from a year ago to $1.29 billion. Both figures were slightly above analysts' forecasts."In [fiscal year 2008] we made progress in several key areas, including growing revenue year-over-year in almost every region, increasing our gross margins and generating cash from operations," said CEO Bob Mao in a statement. Shares of 3Com finished nearly 1% lower during Tuesday's session but were up nearly 6% in late trading to $2.51 a share. Still, 3Com's stock has dropped 47% in what has been a rollercoaster 2008 as an agreement to take the company private was initially denied U.S. government approval before being retooled and then ultimately dropped in March.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV