Advice: When to Use Money Market Accounts
Money market accounts (MMAs) can be a great place to get the most out of the money that you've set aside for a rainy day.
Financial institutions offer FDIC-insured MMAs to their clients, just like they offer regular checking or savings accounts. The benefit? MMAs tend to offer higher interest rates than other deposit accounts. Zero risk for your money and a higher rate makes an MMA a much better place to stash your rainy-day cash than a savings account.
MMAs carry some conditions and restrictions that vary from institution to institution. In general, however, you are limited to a set number of transactions per month (about six total, including three checks), and must keep a relatively high minimum balance (often $1,000 or more).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV