Top Five Small-Cap Stocks: Stepan
Our buy rating for Balchem has not changed since June 2003. The company reported record quarterly results in net sales and net earnings for the first quarter of fiscal 2008. Balchem achieved net sales of $56.9 million, reflecting a 34.9% increase compared to the same quarter one year prior. Net earnings increased 34.9% year-over-year to $4.6 million. As a result, the company's net earnings per diluted common share increased 31.6% to 25 cents a share from 19 cents a share in the first quarter of 2007.
Management reported that the integration of several acquisitions made during fiscal 2007 have gone well, and stated that the first quarter results did not yet reflect the company's full expectations for those acquisitions. Additionally, management noted again that rising raw material costs are expected to remain a challenge for Balchem in the near term. While the company has taken pricing steps to counteract the effects of these increased input costs, the actions taken in the first quarter did not offset all the cost increases, primarily due to timing. Overall, management expects the remainder of fiscal 2008 to continue to bring double digit increases in sales and earnings. Bear in mind, however, that global economic issues could affect the company's results.
Key Technology (KTEC) designs, manufactures, sells and services process automation systems that integrate electro-optical inspection and sorting, specialized conveying, and product preparation equipment. Automated inspection systems are used in a various applications to detect and eliminate defects, most often during the processing of raw and semi-finished products.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV