Advice: Even Mild Inflation Should Scare You
Inflation and Your Retirement Plans
Tim McMahon of InflationData.com keeps track of these historical inflation statistics, with an amazing array of online charts and calculators. One calculator lets you figure out the total rate of price inflation between any two dates from 1914 to the present.
Perhaps the most useful feature of the site is a retirement inflation calculator. It allows you to calculate the impact of inflation on the spending power of your retirement dollars over the years.
Suppose you retired with $1 million at age 60 this year. Assuming that amount, conservatively invested, earned 5% annually, you would think it would be plenty to support you for the rest of your life.Think again. Just 25 years later, your assets would be worth only $359,245.36 in buying power. And since you could be depleting those assets over your lifetime, you might very well find yourself with little or no buying power as you live longer, and inflation continues, or increases as markets are now predicting. We live in dollars, shop in dollars, invest in dollars, and retire in dollars. But we very rarely think about hedging our dollar bets -- something the rest of the world is doing in a dramatic way. They'd rather have euros, or gold, or corn and soybeans than hold on to U.S. dollars. The U.S. Dollar and Global Prices Foreigners recognize that the U.S. continues to go into debt, continues to create more "liquidity," and now is penalizing dollar-holders by keeping interest rates low, as the Federal Reserve struggles to keep the financial services sector alive and the economy from falling deeper into recession.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV