Advice: Even Mild Inflation Should Scare You
You may not think you need to worry about a little inflation, but you should.
Even a little inflation adds up over the years, and can make a real dent in your wealth if you haven't prepared with investments that will not only match, but outpace, its ravages.
Our average historical inflation rate, going back to 1913, is an innocuous looking 3.42%. But that "tolerable" rate adds up to total of more than 2,000% inflation! Or to put it another way, a dollar today is only worth 4.8 cents in 1913 dollars.
What happened to the value of our money? Inflation has eaten away at our buying power. The government took our money by stealth, in small increments, by the secret tax that inflation enacts on all our savings. The more money government "creates," the less valuable our existing money becomes.The current inflation rate is 4.18% (on an annualized basis), based on the Consumer Price Index figures released in mid-June. That's actually below the nearly 6% inflation rate that alarmed President Nixon enough to institute disastrous wage and price controls on Aug. 15, 1971.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV