Opinion: Sony's PlayStation 1 Rocks
In recent weeks, the price range has risen to $15-$30 for most PS1s -- with a huge premium for the super-desirable SCPH-1001 with the RCA output jacks. I've seen those selling for a low of $30 -- up to and over $50-$60 for perfect samples. You can tell which listings are for the SCPH-1001 -- they usually use the term "audiophile" in the title description.
The 1001 that I recently bought looks to be in perfect condition. But looks are deceiving. Despite the seller's assurances, my unit isn't playing properly (unless you turn it upside down). I think it may have suffered a fatal shock during shipping. It will be replaced. If/when you buy online, make sure you get some sort of guarantee -- and buy from a reputable seller (like I did).
The PS1 music craze may die down in the next few weeks -- but right now, these consoles are red-hot commodities. And even at the $50-$60 level they represent a sound value (another pun). If you have one already, try it. You'll be pleasantly surprised.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV