Opinion: Sony's PlayStation 1 Rocks
In recent weeks, the price range has risen to $15-$30 for most PS1s -- with a huge premium for the super-desirable SCPH-1001 with the RCA output jacks. I've seen those selling for a low of $30 -- up to and over $50-$60 for perfect samples. You can tell which listings are for the SCPH-1001 -- they usually use the term "audiophile" in the title description.
The 1001 that I recently bought looks to be in perfect condition. But looks are deceiving. Despite the seller's assurances, my unit isn't playing properly (unless you turn it upside down). I think it may have suffered a fatal shock during shipping. It will be replaced. If/when you buy online, make sure you get some sort of guarantee -- and buy from a reputable seller (like I did).
The PS1 music craze may die down in the next few weeks -- but right now, these consoles are red-hot commodities. And even at the $50-$60 level they represent a sound value (another pun). If you have one already, try it. You'll be pleasantly surprised.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV