Seven Ways to Successfully Network
Launching a business or keeping one going in these dark economic times takes all your energy. But it's essential to occasionally stop and attend that meeting at the local Chamber of Commerce or hit an association's social hour for a couple of hours. As important as it is to collect names and emails of customers for that marketing campaign, building up your business network is a vital part of any company strategy.
"People associate you with the business -- it's part of the branding process," says
1. Be Your Biggest CheerleaderWith all the sweat and financial equity you've put into your company, you are its biggest advocate. If you don't talk up your business, who will? And for many new businesses, a marketing or publicity budget is minuscule if nonexistent.
Consider every time you tout your company as money well spent in those areas. "You have no choice," warns Roane. "You have to gain visibility and have people know who you are so they can recommend you."
However, be careful of how much you divulge, warns Bonnie Marcus, founder of stationary business Bonnie Marcus & Company. You may run the risk of disclosing too much to a competitor when attending one of these industry networking events. Says Marcus, "Do the necessary research after the event and decide who to follow-up with, rather than divulging too much information when first meeting someone."
2. Put on a Friendly FaceTalk up your company, but also know when to stop. If you're at a gathering of friends, says Martin Lehman of
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV