Wednesday's Asia ADR Recap: Infosys
Indian shares closed lower Wednesday as investors in the region locked in profits, breaking a two-day rally. Market players in India said investor fears of higher inflation readings and political concerns over a nuclear deal meeting with the UPA Government damaged sentiment.
"We've had a smart two-day rally," said Jayesh Shroff at SBI Asset Management. "Until the other problems of high oil prices and inflation remain, markets will struggle to perform."
The Bombay Stock Exchange's Sensex Index fell 274.59 points, or 1.8%, to 15,422. Here's a look at how some India-based American depositary shares traded in the U.S. Wednesday.
Susquehanna Financial downgraded Indian technology services company Infosys Technologies (INFY) from positive to neutral, citing valuation. In a note to clients, analyst James Friedman said: "Infosys has rallied almost 50% since its March lows, and has approached our $50 price target. Our analysis suggests the shares look rich on a PEG and P/S basis." Friedman suggested that investors consider swapping Infosys for Satyam (SAY) or Cognizant Technology Solutions (CTSH) for their cheaper PEG ratios. American depositary shares of Infosys, which trade on the Nasdaq, fell 2.8% to $45.43, while ADR shares of Satyam dipped 2.5% to $26.16; and shares of Cognizant Technology finished unchanged at $35.73.India-based Tata Communications (TCL) announced it has acquired a 50% stake in telecommunications services and integrated IT solutions provider China Enterprise Communications through an equity joint venture to sell network services in China. The financial details of the deal were not disclosed and the venture will need approval from the Chinese government and regulators. Shares of Tata Communications plunged 4.4% to $19.37.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV