Tiger Woods to Miss Rest of Season
Tiger Woods, just two days removed from winning the U.S. Open in a hard-fought playoff, will have reconstructive knee surgery and miss the rest of the PGA Tour season.
According to a statement on Woods' Web site, the 14-time major winner will have his fourth knee operation, and his second in two months, in order to repair his left anterior cruciate ligament.
The announcement that Woods will skip the remainder of the year is a stunning end to a dramatic week for the world's top-ranked golfer. Last Thursday, he teed up in the 108th U.S. Open, at Torrey Pines Golf Course in San Diego, after having not played competitively since the Masters in April.
Just days after his runner-up finish in that tournament, Woods underwent his third operation. Despite the layoff, a lack of on-course preparation and pain throughout the event, Woods ended the U.S. Open tied for the lead with Rocco Mediate. That set up a back-and-forth Monday playoff in which Woods ultimately claimed victory on the first hole of sudden death.The triumph was his third in the U.S. Open and his 65th on the PGA Tour. Only Jack Nicklaus and Sam Snead have more Tour wins than Woods. Nicklaus is also the only man with more majors, at 18. "I know much was made of my knee throughout the last week, and it was important to me that I disclose my condition publicly at an appropriate time," Woods said in a statement issued through his agent Mark Steinberg. "I wanted to be very respectful of the USGA and their incredibly hard work, and make sure the focus was on the U.S. Open. Now, it is clear that the right thing to do is to listen to my doctors, follow through with this surgery, and focus my attention on rehabilitating my knee."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV