Brazil: 'A Country That's Just Starting Its Upswing'
Editor's note: This was originally published on RealMoney . It is being republished as a bonus for TheStreet.com readers. For more information about subscribing to RealMoney, please click here.
Brazil has been a much-discussed topic in investing circles for some time now, and having just returned from a recent trip there, I am eager to share with RealMoney subscribers my "boots on the ground" notes and perspective.
It was instructive and fascinating to be a front-and-center spectator not only of the vibrancy of Brazil's blossoming economy and free market, but also of its captivating and energetic culture. Contrary to what Charles de Gaulle of France once wryly described as "not a serious country," the largest nation in South America, with a population more than 190 million people, is quickly becoming not only a regional powerhouse, but a major player on the global stage.
In this multipart look at Brazil, my aim is to shed some light on where we are in the Brazilian growth cycle; to break down my trip, with regard to the many investment opportunities available; and I'll finish with a personal anecdote summing up the overwhelming challenges of its ugly legacy of crime and corruption.China Watch: Brazil's One Way In (Video) One way to get in on the action with China is to play Brazilian companies with Chinese connections. Patrick Schultz reveals how we can play one emerging market to play another. To watch the video, click the player below:
|Two years ago||Year to date||Last close||Two-year return%||YTD date %|
|Brazil -- Ibovespa||34,399.00||62,815.00||64,613.79||46.80%||2.90%|
|India -- BSE Sensex||9,884.51||20,465.30||14,293.32||30.80%||-30.20%|
|China -- Shanghai Composite||1,574.47||5,261.56||2,760.42||43.00%||-47.50%|
|Russia -- RTS Index||1,329.87||2,296.56||2,342.75||43.20%||2.00%|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV