Can Boeing Soar on Stepped-Up 787 Role?
Ideally, for Boeing, the week's events would bring a perceptual change resembling what happened when competitor Airbus took its A380 on tour for demonstration flights in the spring of 2007. Suddenly, the airplane's image went from colossal failure to engineering marvel, albeit one that fell two years behind its initial delivery schedule.
Over the following eight months of 2007, Airbus received 33 new A380 orders, about a sixth of the total orders to date.
So far, Boeing's share price does not reflect a turnabout in perception of the 787's progress. Delivery delays largely explain a decline from near $108 in July 2007. The stock was at $75 in recent trading Monday afternoon.
Current trading also reflects the perceived possibility the U.S. Air Force may reconsider awarding a $35 billion contract for maintenance of refueling tankers to Northrop Grumman (NOC) rather than Boeing.A Complex Process Gets Underway In retrospect, it seems Boeing was initially overly optimistic about the speed with which it could design and implement an innovative 787 production process, one that involved manufacturing and assembling components around the world, then shipping them to the company's home base in Everett, Wash., for final assembly. "Boeing anticipated a startup like others,
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV