Activist Investor: Take Yahoo! Option No. 3
Vyomesh Joshi, EVP from HP
Robert Kotick, Chair & CEO of Activision
Maggie Wilderotter, Chair & CEO of Citizens Communications
Gary Wilson, Private Investor
Jerry Yang, Co-Founder of Yahoo!
In my opinion, the current members of Yahoo!'s Compensation Committee (Chairman Bostock, Ron Burkle and Art Kern) should not be re-elected as they were each the subject of the highest "against" votes at last year's annual meeting. They are also responsible for ladling out excessive stock options to their fellow directors and senior executives over the last four years. I also believe that Eric Hippeau should not be re-elected because he, like Art Kern, has been on the board for over 12 years. That's simply too long, given the relatively poor performance of the company in these past four years. It is time for new blood.
Although I have been disappointed with the results of Jerry Yang's tenure as CEO and hold him accountable for the poor outcome with Microsoft, I believe that -- as a co-founder -- he should remain on this board. Whether or not he remains as CEO is something for the new board to determine. I frankly hold Mr. Bostock more responsible for the break-down in talks with Microsoft. He supposedly has much more experience in such deal-making matters than Yang, and I find it puzzling that he would choose not to attend that fateful May 3 meeting in Seattle, which led to Microsoft finally pulling the plug on its offer.
Which Icahn Nominees Should be Elected?From Icahn's slate, there are many worthy candidates. However, I believe the best four candidates to serve on the new Yahoo! board are:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV