Activist Investor: Take Yahoo! Option No. 3
However, I recognize that there are some large institutional shareholders who will be persuaded by Yahoo!'s argument over Icahn's argument.
More importantly, I fear that a majority will side with Yahoo!, just as a majority of large holders sided with Motorola (MOT) management in May 2007 instead of Icahn, before the gravity of the company's problems fully showed themselves.
Therefore, this article is directed to those large holders in Yahoo! like Capital World Investors, Capital Research, Legg Mason (LM), Vanguard, State Street (STT), Citi Investment Research, Fidelity, BNY Mellon and T. Rowe Price (TROW). It is also directed to the large proxy advisory firms RiskMetrics, Glass Lewis and ProxyGovernance.
A "Third Option"Here is a "Third Option" for how institutions can vote at Yahoo!'s annual meeting, if you cannot fully support the Icahn slate: Vote in a minority of Icahn's representatives to Yahoo!'s board.
There are 9 spots up for election on this year's Yahoo! board. My "Third Option" would be to vote in 5 from the existing board and 4 nominees from Icahn's slate. Whichever 9 individuals gets the most number of votes will serve on the new board.In doing so, you will ensure the following:
- Change: After the company's last four years of poor performance and the great disappointment with the outcome of the Microsoft talks, shareholders clearly want change. This "Third Option" will create a new board. The old directors who remain will be more responsive and shareholder-friendly, as a result of a clear message being sent from this election.
- Heightened Accountability to the Will of Shareholders: There will be full accountability within board meetings by ensuring that shareholders select four powerful new voices to sit around the table representing their interests.
- Removal of Impediments to a Future Acquisition: The costly $2.6 billion severance/poison-pill plan will not be triggered through a "change of control" provision and could be immediately rescinded by the new board after the election, so as not to deter future potential acquirers of Yahoo!.
- Operational Continuity: The operational continuity of the company will be assured. You will continue to have the existing management team in place (until the new board makes changes in the future as needed), as well as a majority of the current board to ensure a continuity of the issues that have been discussed and grappled with at the board level over the last year.
Which Yahoo! Directors Should Be Re-elected?I endorse these five Yahoo! directors to remain on the board under this "Third Option" scenario, for reasons explained below:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV