Friday's Winners & Losers: UAL
United Airlines operator UAL (UAUA), based in Chicago, was up 8.2% to $6.83. UAL announced it would make major changes in order to cut costs in the current, challenging economic environment, including reducing its work force and charging customers $15 for checking the first bag.
Video-game retailer GameStop (GME) added $1.52, or 3.5%, to $44.44 following the monthly video games sales report from research firm NPD that showed the industry grew 37% in May from a year ago. The U.S. video games industry has generated $6.6 billion this year, so far, and is on track to achieve $21 billion to $23 billion in revenue for 2008, said NPD.
Several chip stocks recovered after taking a beating earlier this week when the Semiconductor Industry Association cut its sales forecast for the year to 4.3% from 7.7% issued in November. AMD (AMD) rose 40 cents, or 5.6%, to $7.54 while rival Intel (INTC) was up 61 cents, or 2.8%, to $22.66.
Micron Technology (MU) rose 31 cents, or 4.22%, to $7.65.One stock not registering a gain, Maxygen (MAXY) slid $1.36, or 28%, to $3.49 after disclosing in an Securities and Exchange Comission filing that the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office granted a patent to Amgen (AMGN) on June 3 that Amgen may contend. It covers Maxygen's MAXY-G34 product candidate for chemotherapy-induced neutropenia, or a low number of the bacteria-destroying white blood cells that defend against infections. Credit Suisse downgraded PDL BioPharma (PDLI) to neutral from outperform. It's shares were trading down 46 cents, or 4.2%, at $10.66. Shares of Origin Agritech (SEED)advanced 11.6% to $6.81. The Beijing, China-based company, which develops and distributes hybrid crop seeds, announced three new corn hybrid seeds and one GM cotton seed for distribution in 2009.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV