Thornburg Posts Jumbo Loss
Thornburg Mortgage (TMA) swung to a monstrous loss of $3.31 billion for the first quarter on the plummeting value of securities tied to home loans and said it expected delinquencies to continue to rise.
The Santa Fe, N.M.-based jumbo loan specialist reported a net loss before paying preferred stock dividends of $20.64 per common share, vs. last year's net income of 62 cents per share. The decline in fair market value of the company's mortgage-backed securities and securitized loan portfolios contributed $1.5 billion to the loss.
A balance sheet and income statement were not included with the quarter's figures, though the CEO and President Larry Goldstone said he expected to file a 10Q with the Securities and Exchange Commission next week. He maintained that most of the negativity of the announcement was due to accounting rules.
"A number of factors that were non-recurring and accounting driven led to the losses," Goldstone said on a conference call. He noted that the recent senior subordinated note transaction was barely in the market before they had to give it a fair market value, which turned out to be $950 million less than the proceeds received.Goldstone, however, tried to remain upbeat. He noted that even though delinquencies were likely to continue to increase over the balance of the year, "the credit quality of our originated and acquired loan portfolio continues to perform extremely well, and their performance is consistent with our current estimates." One year ago, this stock traded at $27. The stock was selling at roughly 71 cents in recent mixed trading Thursday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV