Invitrogen, Applied Biosystems Ink Merger
Under the deal announced Thursday morning, Applera-Applied Biosystems shareholders will receive $38 for each share in a combination of 55% in Invitrogen common stock and 45% cash. Applera-Applied Biosystems shareholders will have the option to request all cash or all stock.
The $38 per-share value represents a premium of 17% to Applied Biosystems's closing price Wednesday.
The merger of Carlsbad, Calif.-based Invitrogen and Foster City, Calif.-based Applied Biosystems is expected to close in the fall. The combined company will be called Applied Biosystems and will be headquartered in Carlsbad.Invitrogen chairman and CEO Gregory Lucier will maintain those titles with the combined company, and Applied Biosystems' Mark Stevenson will maintain his titles of president and chief operating officer after the deal closes. Invitrogen expects the acquisition will be neutral to slightly accretive to its earnings per share the first year after close and "significantly accretive" in the second year. "Invitrogen and Applied Biosystems will be well positioned to compete in several rapidly growing markets, such as next generation sequencing, cell biology, applied markets and emerging geographies," the companies said in a statement. Shares of Applied Biosystems were up $2.32, or 7.2%, at $34.76 in early trading Thursday. Shares of Invitrogen, however, were sliding $4.85, or 11.2%, to $38.50.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV