How to Excel in Customer Service
Customers are the life-blood of businesses. And given today's darkening economic picture, customer service is one area experts say small businesses should excel in since loyal clients can mean the difference between remaining your own boss and closing up shop. Here are five steps you can take that won't leave you in the red:
Hire People PeopleSounds easy enough: Staff your front line with employees who are personable and like dealing with customers. Sure, you can train them on company customer procedures, but if that employee can't or won't relate to a client's plight, you may have a relations problem. So during the interviewing process, be sure to throw in some nasty scenarios to see how a potential employee would deal with a complaint, says Jerry Acuff, author of The Relationship Edge (Wiley).
"We are not disciplined to get great people," says Acuff, who is also CEO of
If you must outsource your customer service, institute good quality control. That way, says Acuff, "there are no language or cultural barriers that will prevent customers from receiving the service they deserve."
Empower Your EmployeesAs part of your customer service procedure, consider guidelines that will give front-line employees the ability to address, if not solve, a client's problem. Every unhappy episode should be viewed as an opportunity to strengthen that customer relationship. More importantly, empowered employees are less likely to leave, says John DiJulius III, president of customer service consulting firm The DiJuluis Group and author of What's the Secret? To Providing World-Class Customer Service (Wiley). "Give associates the ability to make someone's day and they go home jazzed about their jobs."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV