Wednesday's Winners & Losers: Nortel Networks
Shares of Nortel Networks (NT) gained $1.10, or 13.6%, to $9.21 after The Wall Street Journal reported that the company is focusing its research and development effort on a new broadband technology called LTE (Long-term evolution) and away from WiMax.
PDL Biopharma (PDLI) was one of the very few stocks on the biotech indices that registered a gain. The stock added 48 cents, or 4.7%, to $10.74.
Central Garden & Pet (CENT), a Walnut Creek, Calif.-based marketer and producer of lawn and garden products as well as pet supplies, tumbled 36% to $4.44. The company said late Tuesday that high grain costs may cause fiscal 2008 profits to fall short of prior-year results. Management had said on a May 7 conference call that it expected modest year-over year improvements in financial results.
GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) said Wednesday it is eliminating 350 jobs, or roughly 2% of its research and development staff, as part of a previously announced restructuring plan to increase productivity. Shares were down 33 cents, or 0.8%, at $41.39.Memory chips maker Qimonda (QI) added 24 cents, or 5.9%, to $4.30 after the company said it has completed a deal to form a technology partnership to jointly develop memory chips with Elphida Memory. TGC Industries (TGE), out of Plano, Texas, which provides seismic data to oil and natural gas companies, climbed $1.14, or 16%, to $8.37. The company reported that it expects its business backlog to increase substantially from the $46 million it reported at the end of the first quarter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV