Financial Winners & Losers: Nat City
Nat City shares were jumping 3.6% after the troubled bank confirmed it had entered memorandums of understanding with the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency and the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland. The bank continued to stress that its financial situation is stable and that there haven't been any major changes at the bank since its $7 billion capital raise. Nat City shares rallied 16 cents to $4.63.
Wachovia (WB) shares jumped 4.6% to $19.76. Shares rose despite a Morgan Keegan analysts' suggestion that the Charlotte, N.C.-based bank might need to cut its dividend and raise capital. The analyst pointed out that Wachovia's exposure to California and Florida were the reasons for the pressure on the company.Separately, value manager Third Avenue was adding to its stake in bond insurer MBIA (MBI), boosting the stock 2.5% to $5.01. The news follows the recent rating cut by S&P and warning from Moody's Investor Service. Overall it was a mixed day for financial stocks with the NYSE Financial Sector Index recently gaining 5.72 to 6,888.22. Lehman Brothers (LEH) continued its slide, as analysts digested the recent loss announcements, crunched their models and downgraded the investment bank. The analysts said they expect the company to lose money in 2008 after forecasting its first-ever quarterly loss and slashed estimates accordingly. The stock fell another 6.7% to $27.50.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV