Ohio State's Best and Worst Stocks of Spring 2008
According to Falk, their investment in Apple came from a compelling growth story: "We had owned
(HPQ), and basically Apple was so much more compelling, given its drop in
Now that they've seen impressive returns from Apple though, Falk says they'll likely take their gains and put money back in HP.
Another good tech buy for the group was SanDisk (SNDK). The company has retuned a solid 20% since they bought into it this year.
WellPoint... Not So WellFalk says that the group's worst play of the quarter was WellPoint (WLP). SIM bought the health benefit company at almost $79 per share and watched it tumble to its current mid-$50 range. "I would say that WellPoint would have to be close to our worst play," recounts Falk. "We had marginally increased our position close to Easter, and a few days later they had an earnings release and fell something like 20%." Lesson learned? "Here's where the importance of having a diverse portfolio comes into play," Falk says. "We're down almost 31% in WellPoint. Indeed, big-gainers like Apple did a good job of lessening the effect of WellPoint's blow, but it doesn't take the sting out of a losing pick."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV