Small-Cap Winners & Losers: Rimage
Updated from 1:41 p.m. EDT with new stock prices
Small-cap stocks, sharing the broader market's moodiness, couldn't find reason to rise Monday. The Russell 2000 lost 0.7% to 735.44, and the S&P SmallCap 600 fell 0.5% to 388.43.
Shares of Rimage (RIMG), a Minneapolis maker of duplication systems for CDs, DVDs and laser discs, tumbled to new lows, falling 22.1% to $13.50. The company lowered is second-quarter earnings guidance to between 9 cents and 12 cents a share on revenue of $20 million to $22 million. Rimage had previously forecast EPS of 22 cents to 27 cents and revenue of $24 million to $26 million. Two analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters are looking for 23 cents a share, and one analyst expects revenue of $24.9 million.
Shanghai-based fabless semiconductor company Spreadtrum Communications (SPRD) gave up 16.2% to $7.84. Roth Capital downgraded the stock to hold from buy.Taser (TASR), which makes electronic control devices designed to zap criminals and others, also plunged to a new 52-week low, losing 11.3% to $6.12. The Scottsdale, Ariz.-based company saw rival Stinger Systems move for dismissal of a patent infringement case Taser had filed. In a separate case, a jury found extended application of a Taser device responsible for 15% of an arrest-related death. The jury awarded about $1 million in compensatory damages and $5.2 million in punitive damages against Taser. On the winning side, Krispy Kreme Doughnut (KKD), a branded retailer and wholesaler of doughnuts based in Winston-Salem, N.C., announced first-quarter earnings of $4 million, or 6 cents a share, vs. a loss of $7.4 million, or 12 cents a share, a year ago. Revenue declined 6.6% year over year to $103.6 million. Shares gained 12.9% to $3.86.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV