Star Bear Bankers to Fly Solo
Two top Bear Stearns investment bankers are opening an advisory boutique and plan to split with JPMorgan Chase (JPM) the fee they expect to earn on a $5.2 billion buyout deal, sources close to the deal say.
Denis Bovin and Mike Urfirer were not offered positions at JPMorgan following its acquisition of Bear Stearns, which closed last week, according to a JPMorgan source and a former Bear Stearns colleague. The chief reason for their departure appears to be that they were accustomed to calling on a wide range of companies in the defense and technology industries, and they would have clashed with other bankers who had some of the same clients, the sources said.
Bovin and Urfirer, however, will split the fee they expect to earn from the sale of defense contractor DRS Technologies (DRS) to Italian defense company Finmeccanica for about $5.2 billion. The deal was agreed to last month and is expected to close in the fourth quarter.
Bovin could not be reached, and Ufirer did not return a call placed to his home.A spokeswoman for DRS explained that the company has been highly acquisitive over the past decade and that Bear has usually been the "key" bank on "pretty much all" of its deals. "In the midst of Bear Stearns being sold, it wasn't immediately clear to us what was going to be happening or where people were going to be going, but we already had the established relationships
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV